Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Week 18 : 22 June to 28 June 2012 -- Darwin


I informed you last week of our plans to head home (not that we have one anymore!) and spend the rest of the year in and around S.E. Queensland. Most of my time at present, while Vic is working, is spent preparing for the return trip. It’s amazing how much stuff has come out of the caravan, since we’ve been housesitting, and not gone back in. Consequently, I’ve done some ‘spring’ cleaning, while repacking, and even though I was confident I could do a better job of organizing that cavern under the bed, nothing’s going back the way it should.
Casuarina Beach at low tide
The tide, this week, has been low in the late afternoon, so Vic and I have been enjoying longer walks than normal, along Casuarina Beach. Flash, “the Wonder Dog’, loves it and spends ages in the water. When we head down to the beach she drags me all the way and on the way home, I have to drag her all the way! During the low tide here, the water goes out a long way, leaving a huge expanse of open beach and makes tidal pool exploring, a lot of fun.
Resting after a big beach walk and fishing session
Over the past week I’ve had a bit of an issue starting the car on occasion, with the voltage being down to about 12 in the mornings. When I had the auxiliary battery and electrical work done on the car back in Brisbane, I had the starter battery checked, mainly because I was certain it was still the original. It passed the check ok then, but I didn’t want to take any chances on it heading home. I am still rapt in the work done by Battery World (back home), so got the local store up here to do the work for me. Once again, I am extremely happy with the way they dealt with my enquiries, even though ‘Darwin time’ did interfere for a short while. The starting issues seem to be taken care of but I’m still a little concerned that something is causing a power drain overnight. 

Sitting on the dock of the bay
Regular readers of this blog will be aware of my interpretation of ‘Darwin time’ (see week 13) and the affect it has on getting things done promptly. My thoughts were reinforced recently when I saw the following explanation for what ‘NT’ stands for. I always thought it was Northern Territory, but if you’re waiting on a delivery… it means… Next Train or Next Truck. If, however, you are waiting on some work to be done… it means… Not Tuesday, Not Thursday, Not Today or Not Tomorrow!

Vic and I have become market groupies of late and last weekend visited the Parap Markets on Saturday, Rapid Creek and Nightcliff on Sunday morning and Mindil Beach on Sunday afternoon. They are all good entertainment and don’t break the budget.
Rapid Creek markets - Sweet water apples
Great for your weekly fruit and vege needs


Yellow water melon....love the tropical fruits
Anyone need a charger? Heaps here.
At the markets, you are sure to bump into Monte Dwyer, the former Channel 7 weatherman. Since leaving Channel 7 (and for a time prior) he has been travelling Australia in a motorhome, and interviewing the more ‘interesting characters’ that live away from the countries main centres. 

the full Monte in a bag
The results of his labours are a series of books, dvds, a cd and audio books, with the common title, Red In The Centre. He spends a few months each year in Darwin, during the dry season, working 5 markets per week. After stalking him (Vic said I did anyway!) over a few weekends (She also says I’m craving male conversation!) he did a deal on the 3 books and 2 dvds (the old adage… the more you buy, the more you save.). They are a really good read and I can highly recommend them. Check out his web site at www.monte.com.au and be sure to have a look at the antics he used to get up to while reading the weather for the ABC in Darwin.

Vic and I had intended to visit Litchfield National Park this weekend but there is a murderer on the loose, from NSW, who is accused of beheading his victim. Police believe he is hiding out in the bush somewhere between Berry Springs and the park, so we’ve decided to err on the side of caution and stay around Darwin. Probably end up at the markets again!

Until next week… Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment